Plato BioPharma, Inc. (PBI) a premier contract research organization supporting the pre-clinical research needs of its biotechnology/pharmaceutical clients is seeking an Animal Care Technician II. The right candidate will be a self-motivated individual capable of working with time-sensitive deadlines while maintaining industry standards in accordance with PBI’s standard operating procedures (SOPs). The position involves daily exposure to laboratory animals and their waste products; provides animal husbandry and care for a variety of laboratory animal species as directed and in accordance with existing SOPs.
This role is full-time and will require weekend shifts and evening shifts depending on need.
- 20-80% Directed activity – will have significant oversight on a variety of tasks; and as individual progresses, oversight decreases to confirmation of completion of daily tasks
- 20-70% Autonomy with respect to execution of daily tasks
- Will become validated and proficient in animal dosing by various routes (e.g., SC, IP, PO, IV)
- Participates in supervised dosing of study compounds and may participate in directed dosing of study compounds without direct supervision
- Participates in supervised cycling of metabolism cages, urine, and fecal collections.
- Provides fresh feed and water, performs cage changes and animal room sanitation procedures.
- Washes dirty cages, cage lids, watering apparatus, and ancillary animal housing supplies and equipment (racks, feed bins)
- Cleans animal quarters, cagewash facility, food and bedding storage quarters, ante- and/or access rooms, and associated Vivarium equipment (Biobubble, ceiling filters) to maintain facility in neat and orderly condition.
- Monitors and records daily environmental room parameters (e.g., temperature, humidity, light levels, air flow, etc.) and reports abnormal facility conditions to the supervisor.
- May participate in coordinating weekend vivarium and cagewash maintenance activities.
- Receives, verifies, and unpacks animal deliveries.
- Assists in ordering and maintaining supplies as directed.
- Assists in shipping, packaging and/or receiving of supplies when needed.
- Contributes to supervised maintenance of animal health records as directed.
- Works closely with RAs to provide animal treatments as instructed.
- Recognizes normal clinical appearance and behavior of animals.
- Observes and reports signs of abnormal appearance, disease/disorders to the study PIs and/or supervisor.
- Contributes to research by carrying out study support activities (specifically auditing study data, labeling sample tubes, preparing syringes, weight-matching and grouping of study animals) as directed and scheduling permits.
- May participate in supervised maintenance of chronically-instrumented animals and recording of findings (exteriorized catheters, vascular access ports, etc…) as directed
- May be trained in techniques of, and may perform humane euthanasia as directed by supervisor and/or study PI.
- May perform supervised postoperative care as directed.
- Prepares specialty animal feeds and liquids as directed.
- May sterilize items using an autoclave as directed.
- Identifies and suggests process improvements to better meet business objectives and facilitate alignment of newer staff.
- Demonstrates ability to make appropriate decisions in face of changing animal health status.
- Takes initiative to ask for more responsibility with respect to vivarium and facility maintenance
- May act as a mentor to junior animal staff.
- May train new animal care staff on all related functions as directed by supervisor
- May follow-up on the work of others
- May serve as weekend or holiday lead as designated by Vivarium Supervisor
MINIMUM EDUCATION /EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum is High School Diploma
- College courses and or Associates or Bachelors degree in Animal Science or Husbandry are highly desirable
- 3-6 years of experience
- Minimum of ALAT certification is required
- Be capable of being validated and proficient in animal dosing by various routes (e.g., SC, IP, PO, IV)
- At minimum, should possess the personal and professional qualities consistent with working in a professional and/or industrial setting.
- Superior communication skills
- Detail-oriented approach
- Enthusiasm, initiative
- Requires a “How can I help?” “Can do” attitude
- Ability to be an active team participant
- Ability to perform high volume, repetitive organizational tasks
- Ability and diligence with details and record keeping
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Word and Excel).
- Technicians must be able to perform all physical aspects required of position including periodic lifting items up to 50 lbs and moving racks or large items on wheels.
- Must be able to work in a laboratory setting with direct exposure to/handling of laboratory animals.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Work will require PPE (personal protective equipment).
- Hours are weekdays, weekday evenings and some weekends (days or evenings) as required.
Qualified candidates interested in the position should send your resume and cover letter connecting your experience to the job requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls and no recruiters, please.