Plato BioPharma, Inc (PBI), a growing pre-clinical contract research organization (CRO) supporting the pre-clinical research needs of the pharmaceutical and biopharma sectors, is seeking an Associate Scientist II / Research Scientist, Physiology with proven expertise in the physiology / pharmacology of the Cardiovascular and/or Pulmonary organ systems / therapeutic areas. This exciting position is for the accomplished “do-er” with strong applicable in vivo skills who wants to make an immediate impact by working in a small, exciting CRO where we focus on DOING science. The position will provide hands-on experiences translating client research goals into executable study protocols that meet client needs.
Job Summary and Essential Functions
- Design, manage and execute all aspects of conducting preclinical research on rodents including compound formulation, dosing, surgeries, functional evaluation and tissue collection.
- Gains mastery of and becomes a leader in cardiovascular and pulmonary pre-clinical models of disease
- Conducts directed and independent experiments and performs measurements of cardiac, hemodynamic, pulmonary and/or metabolic function in rodents.
- Performs rodent cardiac and cardiovascular surgical procedures and functional testing including, but not limited to, myocardial infarction, cardiac I/R, radiotelemeter implantation, arterial and venous cannulation – both acute and chronic/survival; direct and indirect systemic hemodynamics, cardiac PV loops, organ and vascular bed blood flow measurements, cardiac ultrasound, ultrasonic large vessel Doppler flow measurements
- Performs pulmonary functional testing including direct and indirect lung mechanic measurements
- Responsible for collection, documentation, analysis and interpretation of data from experiments with ability to conduct in-depth statistical and correlative analysis to develop mathematical predictive models of disease and therapeutic intervention outcomes
- Prepares results and conclusions of work, both in written and oral format, for delivery to clients and inclusion in technical reports.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of state-of-the art principles and theories and applies such knowledge to the research and business direction of the Company.
- Acts as a study principal investigator to achieve client commitments in communication, scientific expectations and contractual deliverables
- Gains direct client services responsibilities over time
- Responsible for overall study management and conduct of assigned studies including study timelines and quality standards.
People Management (if applicable)
- Position may or may not manage one or more research associates depending on qualifications of candidate.
- Demonstrates ability to manage scientific, operational, and administrative aspects of a team.
- Directs the activities of Research Associates and may provide training to scientific staff in study-related standard operating procedures.
- Establishes and maintains training and development objectives for direct reports
- Performance management is required. Conducts annual performance appraisals and merit recommendations. Provides regular coaching feedback to team member on performance.
What we’re looking for:
- The right candidate will demonstrate technical proficiency, scientific creativity and independent thought in participating in experimental design and recommending research strategy in a directed research setting.
- Eagerness to be a leader both at and away from the bench
- Possess excellent communication (both oral and written) and interpersonal skills
- Must have strong organizational, planning and time-management aptitudes.
- Exercises independent judgment in developing and standardizing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining highly traceable, valid, and reproducible results.
- Ability to participate, communicate and collaborate in an interdisciplinary team-oriented environment is essential.
- Shows flexibility and ability to apply his/her knowledge to new areas of study.
- Commitment to safety and the humane treatment of laboratory animals is required.
What we offer:
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Eligible for bonuses and pay increases dependent on personal and company performance
- Personal growth opportunities through on the job experiences in a small growing business
- Varies from typical office environment to a laboratory setting with direct exposure to/handling of laboratory animals
- Non-standard hours and weekend work occasionally required
- At times, may work with potentially hazardous substances
- At times, work will require PPE (personal protective equipment)
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks quickly and efficiently
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
- Must be able to perform all physical aspects required of position including periodic lifting items up to 40 lbs. and moving racks or large items on wheels
Minimum Education / Experience Requirements:
- PhD in an appropriate Physiological or Pharmacological discipline, and 3-7 years of relevant experience demonstrating expertise with sustained performance and accomplishments.
- Biotech and/or Pharmaceutical industry experience highly desirable.
- Requires verifiable experience in at least one of the following areas: cardiovascular, pulmonary or metabolism physiology, pathophysiology or pharmacology.
- Rodent survival surgery experience in the cardiovascular, pulmonary or metabolism therapeutic areas
- Technical proficiencies in cardiac ultrasound, indirect and direct hemodynamic measurements, arterial/venous cannulations and catheter placement, and/or indirect and direct lung mechanics (FlexiVent and whole-body plethysmography) highly desirable
- Experience in the development of translatable rodent models of human disease and conducting in vivo efficacy studies according to study protocols.
- Experience leading and motivating research associate staff is also a plus.
Exempt full-time 40+ hours a week
Qualified candidates interested in the position should send your resume and cover letter connecting your experience to the job requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position title, level and compensation commensurate with experience. No phone calls and no recruiters, please.