This is a hands-on position responsible for the daily operations of our Vivarium (which operates 365 days a year) to ensure all animals are properly maintained, environment is appropriate, staff adheres to safety practices, S.O.Ps are followed, and the facility is in compliance with all applicable regulations. The position reports to the A.D., In Vivo Laboratory Operations and requires someone with superior communication skills, detail-orientation, initiative, enthusiasm and the desire to be an active team participant.
- Maintains Vivarium in accordance with directives of consulting veterinarian and IACUC.
- Ensures daily health observations and treatments are completed satisfactorily.
- Coordinates with study PIs to ensure adequate resources for animal housing are available.
- Maintains complete, accurate records of husbandry activities and environmental conditions.
- Schedules Animal Care Techs to ensure sufficient vivarium resources for all projects.
- Ensures all Vivarium facility maintenance and security needs are met.
- Maintains and/or monitors animal health surveillance program.
- Communicates adverse findings to study PIs and AD, In Vivo Lab Operations.
- Participates in the development and implementation of SOPs, staff training and development.
- Will participate in IACUC activities to be determined based on company needs.
- May place and/or monitor all orders for animals and vivarium support materials.
- May lead or monitor additional operational activities as time allows.
- Establishes work schedule and ensures staff completes assigned work according to SOPs.
- Documents and reports daily attendance to accurately reflect hours worked on timesheets.
- Hires, coaches and disciplines employees, up to and including, processing termination.
- Trains staff on procedures (husbandry, animal health observations/treatments.)
- Creates annual goals for Vivarium; evaluates, writes and conducts performance evaluations.
- Communicates with Manager re: employee relations issues & performance deficiencies.
- Responsible for creating and implementing performance improvement plans as needed.
In addition to the above duties:
- Performs duties of Sr. Animal Care Technician 25-50% of time
- Participates in weekend rotation; Backup for team during their PTO or any type of absence.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- B.S. degree in Animal Science or Biology preferred.
- Minimum 4-5 years of experience working in a Vivarium – or an equivalent combination of education, training and work-related experience.
- Minimum 4 years experience supervising staff in an animal facility.
- Certification by the American Association of Laboratory Animal Science at the Technician, or higher level, or Veterinary Technician is preferred.
- Knowledge & work experience in dosing (all routes of small animals), specimen and fluid collection including metabolism cages.
- Exhibits strong organizational, planning and time-management skills: including building organizational systems. Ability and diligence with details and record-keeping.
- Excellent communication (both oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, scientists, office staff and management.
- Management/leadership acumen. Ability to “help others to go where they need to go.”
- Must be able to participate in and build highly effective teams.
- Requires “Can do” and a “How can I help?” attitude.
- High energy individual. Ability to perform high volumes of work, do repetitive tasks accurately.
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Word and Excel).
– Hours are weekdays, and some weekday evenings and weekend work is required.
– Must be able to work in a laboratory setting with direct exposure to/handling of mice & rats.
– Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
– Work will require PPE (personal protective equipment).
Qualified candidates interested in the position should send your resume and cover letter connecting your experience to the job requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls and no recruiters, please.