Plato BioPharma, Inc. (PBI), a pre-clinical contract research organization (CRO) supporting the preclinical research needs of the biotechnology/pharmaceutical sectors is seeking an Animal Care Technician (ACT) II. The right candidate will be a self-motivated individual capable of working to time-sensitive deadlines while maintaining industry standards in accordance with PBI’s standard operating procedures.
Must be able to work assigned standard schedule: Sunday – Thursday or Tuesday – Saturday. Shift starts at 7:30am and will require some evening hours one (1) day per week.
Starting pay is $18.00 – $22.00 an hour depending on experience
Job Summary and Essential Functions:
The ACT II is responsible for providing exceptional animal care to the research animals at PBI. This includes performing daily husbandry and care and of laboratory animals in a research environment as well as sanitization and preparation of animal housing equipment, including operation of a large bulk rack washer.
The ACT II is also is responsible for performing animal technical procedures and providing animal study support with supervision. The ACT II will work as part of a team conducting routine procedures required for vivarium operation. Individuals must demonstrate strong communication skills and be able to work efficiently in individual and team settings.
- Provide food, water, and clean housing to rodents according to SOPs
- Perform daily health observations with demonstrated ability to recognize and report abnormalities and common signs of illness
- Handle and restrain rodents
- Assist with and perform small animal dosing by various routes of administration (e.g. SC, IP, PO, IV).
- Assist with and perform metabolic cage cycling and fluid collection.
- Assist our in vivo research team by carrying out study setup and support activities as directed.
- Maintain accurate records (e.g. documentation of various facility procedures & metrics)
- Perform routine facility sanitation procedures; maintain a clean, clutter-free facility
- Prepare and stock room supplies
- Monitor and record facility environmental parameters.
- Perform euthanasia procedures as directed
- Operate husbandry-related equipment (e.g. cage washers, autoclaves, air flow hoods, etc.) using approved procedures
- Wash and prepare caging and equipment.
- Maintain work area in an organized, clean, and safe condition
- Other duties as assigned
What we’re looking for
- A motivated, hardworking individual with a positive work ethic and a passion for working with animals
- Willingness to work rotating weekends, holidays and overtime with supplementary compensation
- Must be able to work in a laboratory setting with direct exposure to/handling of laboratory animals
- Overtime and weekend work as required
- May work with potentially hazardous substances not limited to known /potential teratogens or carcinogens and/or radiolabeled test materials
- Work will require PPE (personal protective equipment)
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks quickly and efficiently
- Accurately calculate and record numbers
- Good teamwork skills
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
- Must be able to perform all physical aspects required of position including periodic lifting items up to 50 lbs. and moving racks or large items on wheels
- Ability to communicate effectively both written and verbally
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Word and Excel)
PBI provides employees a full benefits package including:
- Paid Time Off
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Paid Holidays
- Differential pay for off-hour and holiday shifts
All employees are expected to arrive at work and perform their duties as assigned. Weekend and holiday work is required as scheduled. In addition, you may be expected to work extra hours during an emergency situation or if any unexpected situation arise until work is completed. Overtime opportunities are available.
Part-time or Full-Time available
Minimum Education / Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor degree in Animal or Life Sciences preferred
- 6 months to 2 years of related external experience with an Associate Degree
- Previous veterinary technician/animal care experience and AALAS certification preferred
Qualified candidates interested in the position should send your resume and cover letter connecting your experience to the job requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls and no recruiters, please.