Director of Client Services
The Director of Client Services is responsible for the majority of client/study sponsor communication and engagement efforts from initial interactions, proposal and protocol generation, contracting, and interim and final study reporting. A high degree of consultative interaction with scientific clients is required in order to understand their requirements and alignment of internal efforts to deliver to those. Additionally, the position will collect, organize, prepare and distribute information to other managers, scientists, technical, and business operations staff as necessary to ensure client timeline and expectations are met. The right candidate will help manage client projects to ensure they meet client expectations and deadlines along with assisting with business development activities by participating in new client on boarding, attending applicable scientific meetings and attending client visits as required.
The position demands an in-depth understand and working knowledge of translatable pre-clinical drug discovery and development in the cardiovascular, renal, pulmonary, hepatic and diabetic therapeutic areas. The successful candidate will be expected to rapidly become conversant with PBI’s disease model systems, assays and standard endpoints for each of the above listed organ systems.
Job Summary and Essential Functions
- Acts as the main liaison between external clients/sponsors and the internal scientific team
- Owns and provides leadership for all aspects of the appropriate proposal process (text, quote, budget, and/or response to requests for information) for assigned opportunities, inclusive of managing opportunities autonomously, establishing clear timelines, meeting client requirements, and resolving obstacles
- Reviews and analyzes client inquiries and documents to ensure adequate information for budget, protocol and proposal preparation is provided. Follows up with appropriate contact for additional information as required.
- Identifies and resolves issues around client’s requirements and the company’s capabilities
- Provides information to the client and scientists concerning standard testing programs, sample preparation, sample submission requirements, program coordination and associated documentation.
- Perform in-depth analysis of client issues in order to remediate or prevent client dissatisfaction and develop and maintain customized client communication for all therapeutic areas.
- Provide program and/or specific project updates to clients and upper management and facilitate conference calls and associated actions and deliverables.
- Oversees and participates in final Technical Report writing
- Maintain client communication files in an electronically accessible format, in conjunction with principal investigators, develop project timelines and milestones according to the client’s needs.
- Keep track of project timelines for forecasting purposes. Be able to communicate forecasting information in a format usable to other internal departments.
- Prepares high quality and accurate documents; collaborates with the review team to ensure the responses and strategy meet the sponsor requirements and expectations in the face of changing timelines; based on experience, proactively proposes appropriate potential strategies
- Identifies and is accountable for driving ways to improve the efficiency and quality of processes and the resulting deliverables, influencing key stakeholders as applicable
- Performs timely and accurate data entry into departmental and/or corporate databases/systems as appropriate
- Assist with pricing of new methods during contract/proposal development and manage project process to identify changes in scope that would require revisions to contracts.
- Assure that all pricing information for assigned clients is accurate
- Performs quality control activities per the appropriate process/requirements
- May lead strategic and/or highly complex opportunities/initiatives
Management and Team:
- Reports to and works closely with CEO to manage all client interactions
- Serves as a member of the Management Team providing input on strategic corporate initiatives
- Manages one or more scientific writers (Ph.D. level)
- Establishes and maintains training and development objectives for direct reports
- Performance management is required. Conducts annual performance appraisals and merit recommendations. Provides regular coaching feedback to team members on performance.
- Demonstrates ability to manage scientific, operational, and administrative aspects of a team.
What we’re looking for:
- An individual with an in-depth understanding of in vivo models of multi-system rodent physiology and in vitro analyses of pathobiology and disease biomarkers.
- Demonstrates strong organizational, communication, time management, and interpersonal skills in a cross-functional team.
- Able to demonstrate strong skills in authoring and managing the production of scientific documents (pre-clinical study protocols, proposals, technical reports, pharmaceutical regulatory documentation and/or publications in peer-reviewed journals).
- Demonstrates understanding and appreciation of internal and outward facing timelines as they relate to PBI’s role in global drug development.
- Understanding of urgency, flexibility and ability to prioritize or shift priorities to meet aggressive and changing deadlines.
- Demonstrates ability to analyze and interpret complex data across a range of scientific disciplines.
- Ability to use, manage and promote multiple methods of digital communication including Microsoft 365, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, email, conference call, e-signature platforms, cloud folder document sharing, VPN, etc.
- Respects the rights of clients and employees; maintains confidentiality in all related matters.
- Adheres to expectations of productivity and personal efficiency.
- Works collaboratively with others to maintain a safe environment.
- Performs job function with scientific discipline, technical rigor and integrity around data reporting.
- Ability to communicate and multi-task across functional and organizational groups.
- Willingness and awareness to contribute as needed to the success of a small, dynamic company. This may include assisting in off-hour and holiday efforts.
What we offer:
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Eligible for bonuses and pay increases dependent on personal and company performance
- Personal growth opportunities through on the job experiences in a small growing business
- May involve typical office environment and a laboratory setting with potential direct exposure to/handling of laboratory animals
- Work from home with occasional travel to company facility may be available
- Typical hours 8am-5:30pm M-F with non-standard hours, evening and weekend work occasionally required
- At times, work may require PPE (personal protective equipment)
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks quickly and efficiently
- Some travel required
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time
- Must be able to perform all physical aspects required of position including periodic lifting items up to 20 lbs.
Minimum Education / Experience Requirements:
- Clinical, preclinical research or scientific experience in one or more of our therapeutic areas is strongly desired: cardiovascular, renal, pulmonary, diabetic complications and/or hepatic disease.
- Ph.D. degree in related discipline (Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, etc.) and at least 8 years of related post-doctoral experience
- MS degree in related discipline (Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, etc.) and at least 10 years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrable understanding of in vivo models of multi-system physiology and in vitro analyses of pathobiology and disease biomarkers Proven experience in interacting with senior scientific staff, Directors, VP and C-level business partners
- Experience as a medical scientist liaison (MSL) and/or direct interfacing with KOLs is applicable
- Strong skills in authoring and managing the production of scientific documents/technical reports
- Demonstrated experience managing other Life Science and/or appropriate discipline professionals
- In-depth experience with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint, Outlook, GraphPad PRISM and cloud-based content management systems
- Previous physiological, pharmacological or life sciences laboratory experience desired.
Exempt full-time 40+ hours a week
Qualified candidates interested in the position should send your resume and cover letter connecting your experience to the job requirements to email@example.com. Position title, level and compensation commensurate with experience. No phone calls and no recruiters, please.