Plato BioPharma, Inc. (PBI), a pre-clinical contract research organization (CRO) supporting the research needs of the biotechnology/pharmaceutical sector is seeking a small animal Surgical Research Technician (SRT). The right candidate will be a self-motivated individual capable of working to time-sensitive deadlines while maintaining industry standards in accordance with PBI’s standard operating procedures.
$25.00 – $30.00 an hour, Full-Time
Job Summary and Essential Functions:
The SRT will be experienced in performing small animal survival surgery and will perform a variety of surgical procedures in research rodents. The successful candidate will participate in routine pre-clinical pharmacology research activities along with assisting in various data collection and technical procedures. Individuals must demonstrate strong technical aptitude and communication skills while being able to work efficiently in individual and team settings.
- Extensive handling of research rodents
- Administration of test agents to rodents via oral gavage (p.o.), intraperitoneal (i.p.), subcutaneous (s.c.), and intravenous (i.v.) routes
- Metabolic cage cycling and sample collection
- Blood collection (cardiac puncture, tail bleed, retro-orbital)
- Will be trained and validated to perform minor and major survival surgeries based on company needs to include:
- Subcutaneous implantation of minipumps, DOCA pellets, etc… (rats/mice)
- Unilateral Nephrectomy (rats/mice)
- Unilateral Ureteral Obstruction (rats/mice)
- Bile Duct Ligation (rats)
- Subtotal Nephrectomy via Ablation (rats/mice)
- Renal Ischemia/Reperfusion (rats/mice)
- Exteriorized catheterizations (intravenous, intracolonic, etc… in rats)
- Perioperative care including proper use and administration of balanced anesthesia, analgesics and pain management in rodents
- May maintain chronically instrumented animals and record findings
- May be trained to assist with organ harvest and/or performance of study measurements
- Adherence to company standards, research SOPs and required safety procedures.
What we’re looking for
- A motivated, hardworking individual with a strong work ethic, positive attitude and a passion for working with animals
- Willingness to work occasional weekends, holidays and overtime with supplementary compensation
- Must be able to work in a laboratory setting with direct exposure to/handling of laboratory animals
- May work with potentially hazardous substances not limited to known /potential teratogens or carcinogens and/or radiolabeled test materials
- Work will require PPE (personal protective equipment)
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks quickly and efficiently
- Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time
- Accurately calculate and record numbers
- Good teamwork skills
- Ability to communicate effectively both written and verbally
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Word and Excel)
PBI provides employees a full benefits package including:
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with company match
- Eligible for bonuses and pay increases dependent on personal and company performance
- Personal growth opportunities through on the job experiences in a small growing business
- Differential pay for off-hour and holiday shifts
Minimum Education / Experience Requirements:
- Previous experience in small animal surgery required.
- Requires at least a BS degree in related scientific discipline with 3-6 years of applicable laboratory experience.
- LAT Certification desirable
- Surgical Research Technician (SRT) Certification desirable
- A basic understanding of animal physiology and pharmacology are essential.
- Understanding of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within the animal research field.
- Level of position & compensation will be commensurate with experience.
- Non-Exempt full-time 40+ hours a week
To apply to this position please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com